SQHA is looking for news and information that would be of interest to our members. We would also welcome rider profiles, new member biographies, anything of interest to our membership. Please submit your news to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Shannon Burwash Memorial Award for Equine and Agricultural Studies
Calgary, AB - Dr. Wayne Burwash is pleased to announce the launch of the Shannon Burwash Memorial Award for Equine and Agricultural Studies at The Calgary Foundation.
Established to honor the legacy of Shannon's love for the horse and her contribution to the horse industry, the award will benefit Canadian post-secondary students in any field of study, with a preference for those pursuing agriculture, agri-business or equine-oriented studies.
Shannon's involvement with the horse industry, and more specifically the Quarter Horse industry, was extensive. She was an active director and treasurer for the Quarter Horse Association of Alberta and the Canadian Quarter Horse Association and an Alberta director for the American Quarter Horse Association. Shannon also was very active on Equine Canada committees. She loved riding and showing horses and promoted good horsemanship, sportsmanship and a love for their pursuits. She passed away suddenly in 2013, after returning from the Sun Circuit in Arizona with Soo Good, the three-year-old gelding she and Wayne raised.
"Besides her family, Shannon had two big passions in life," says Wayne. "First, she loved the horse and was devoted to enriching the horse industry. Her second passion was education. She felt strongly that all young people should pursue post-secondary education." Guided by these passions, Wayne knew that a scholarship supporting young people involved with horses and agriculture and pursuing advanced education in those fields was a fitting tribute to Shannon. His commitment to this award is such that he will personally match all other donors' contributions up to $50,000.
Annual Scholarships at a minimum of $2000 will be distributed commencing mid-2015. Preference will be given to eligible, full-time, post-secondary students whose studies have emphasis on the horse, agriculture, agri-business or equine veterinary medicine. Eligibility and application details will soon be available at The Calgary Foundation's website at http://www.thecalgaryfoundation.org/grants-awards/student-awards.
- Online: Visit www.thecalgaryfoundation.org, choose 'Donate Online' at top, right hand side of home page, then choose "Select from Funds to support a current celebration, remembrance or fundraising activity", and then search for 'Shannon Burwash' Fund in the drop down menu. VISA and MasterCard are accepted.
- By Phone: To pay by credit card over the phone, call 403-802-7700 during office hours 8:00am - 4:00pm. Please do not leave your credit card number on voicemail.
- In Person: The Calgary Foundation, Suite 700, 999 - 8 Street SW, Calgary during office hours.
- By Mail: Cheque payable to The Calgary Foundation, indicating 'Shannon Burwash Memorial Award' in the memo section. Mail to: The Calgary Foundation, 700 - 999 - 8 Street SW Calgary, AB. T2R 1J5
- Tax Receipts for Donations: A Canadian tax receipt will be issued for donations over $25
For more information, contact Ms. Darlene Chrapko, Student Awards Officer, at The Calgary Foundation at Telephone: 403-802-7711 or
Congratulations to Lloyd Turner of Shamrock, SK for being awarded the AQHA 50 Year Breeder's Award. Lloyd was one of only nine breeders to receive this award in 2014, and the only Canadian! To watch the Banquet from Amarillo, click here (note: fast forward to 50:30 to see Lloyd's presentation and speech). More information about Lloyd and the other breeders will be featured in the January and February issues of The American Quarter Horse Journal. Congratulations Lloyd on this prestigous award!!